Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Cube kaleidoscope (Wonder Mirror Box, or CUMOS cubic cosmos scope)

N asked me about the cube kaleidoscope Chern posted before. If you are interested in getting instructions and materials for making your own cube kaleidoscope, you should contact Prof. Takaaki Sonoda (園田 高明) of Kyushu University (九州大學). (reports about him in Czechish??? and in Japanese).

Here I just want to show the other two cube kaleidoscopes, kaleidostereochemistry and kaleidogarden, I made when Prof. Sonoda visited Taiwan about one year ago.
It is really fun to make your own kaleidoscope. Basically, one needs to have six mirrors to make a cube kaleidoscope. Once you have the necessary materials, you need to make patterns on two or three mirrors by scratching part of mirror away by using suitable stick. For details, please contact Prof. Sonoda.
In addition to the two kaleidoscopes I made by myself, I also got another professionally made cube kaleidoscope from Prof. Sonoda as a gift.
You can also find extra information at this site (CUMOS cubic cosmos scope). Here is one I found at that site:
More images is in this gallery.

5 comments:

LUCY said...

Me encanta....Maravilloso....

Unknown said...

I can't contact Prof. Takaaki Sonoda, is there any other way I can ask him how to make this awesome cube kaleidoscope?

Unknown said...

I can't contact Prof. Takaaki Sonoda, is there any other way I can ask him how to make this awesome cube kaleidoscope?

EdwardHelms said...

Thanks on your marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you may be a great author.I will ensure that I bookmark your blog and definitely will come back in the foreseeable future. I want to encourage you continue your great posts, have a nice weekend!
wholesale gifts and homewares

gulmiszerihg said...

When I originally commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get three emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Thank you!
wholesale gifts and homewares